Monday, September 13, 2010

I finally bought an airbrush and it's a time-saver already.

I have been debating an airbrush purchase for several weeks now and finally took the plunge.  There were several reasons for wanting to take this step.  First, I have very little hobby time, so any time saved for me would be time gained and more models painted.  Also, after finally painting a few models the other day that started out as predominately one color, I decided it was a must.  Basecoating a model with a brush could take upwards of a half hour while with the airbrush I can basecoat with any color in my collection within minutes.  This was what I would find out after the airbrush arrived.


After much searching of the interwebz for info on all the various brushes available.  I knew from the search that I wanted a double action gravity fed airbrush.  Picking the Paasche Talon was the easy part, the air supply was the hard part.  After much searching I just picked up a kit that included a hobby compressor.  The price was right, though I know it isn't what I would really like.  I figure if I upgrade I can always sell this one.


After ordering and getting in the mail Friday, I finally had a chance to get it together Saturday and play around with it.  While I wanted to use some other models to practice on, I couldn't wait, so just threw down my Dire Troll Mauler that I had just finished building.  I figure to basecoat this model with a brush would take almost an hour.  However, even with putting everything together, practicing on some paper, basecoating the troll and cleaning up, I still had less than an hour in model.  It came out pretty good, I just need to get used to the trigger and get my paint consistency down.  I also need to do more research into cleaning the airbrush properly.  This time I just sprayed Windex through it until clean.



So, there's my first experience with an airbrush.  It was pretty easy just basecoating this model without messing it up.  I think the purchase was well worth it and it will be used a lot in the future.  Any model that is mostly one color will definitely be basecoated with it, then just black out the bits I didn't want that color, which most of us would have to tidy up these with a brush anyways.  I will continue to post my airbrush experiences on here as they happen.  Hope this helps some guys that are on the fence about getting one.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new airbrush stuff! They do save a good bit of time on the base coating. They are great for vehicles too as you get a super smooth coat on those flat areas. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, prepare to have your vehicle painting revolutionised.

    and just wait till you get into gradients :)

    ReplyDelete